Monday, January 5, 2015

Rodger Ballast Cars and Western Air Dumps

In a comment to this post, Ron Simpson identifies some cars that I think are Rodger ballast cars as 12-yard Western Air Dumps. I took screen shots from a couple of pages off Google Books covering maintenance cars of the period. Here is the page on Western air dumps:

This photo shows what I think is a 12-yard Western air dump at left on a CR&NW construction train:

Here is a screen shot of a page describing Rodger ballast cars:

Here are what I believe are Rodger ballast cars on a CR&NW work train at mile 113:

Ron in his comment says the CR&NW had 100 of the 12-yard Western air dumps. A Moody's manual from about 1916 says the CR&NW had 126 "service" cars, so the 100 12-yard dumps would fit there. I think the CR&NW had both Western dumps and Rodger ballast cars, but I don't know how many of the Rodger cars.

I really appreciate this level of interest and comment from visitors!

1 comment:

  1. I have that info somewhere. Seems to me there were at least two dozen of those gondolas. Some were later used for hauling high grade ore, which was dumped directly into them without being bagged.

    ReplyDelete